On February 23rd, 2015, the Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club participated in “I Love to Read Month” with their annual “Reading Takes Flight” initiative.
Over 2000 Students and Teachers applied by submitting their “TOP 5” reasons why their class would like to host a member of the Winnipeg Jets to read to them.
Maddie from Room 18 was one of the lucky 14 entrants who had their entry selected to have Winnipeg Jets players come to their classroom (Dustin Byfuglien and Adam Pardy were our special guests!) and read the official children’s book of the Winnipeg Jets “The Home Team”, sign autographs, distribute bookmarks and answer questions from the students. Maddie's winning "TOP 5" reasons were:
1) On Jets game days, the National Anthem from a Jets game is played over the intercom and we yell out "TRUE NORTH" at that part of the song.
2) We have D.E.A.R. at school where a song is played over the intercom and we "Drop Everything And Read". This is really fun and gets us excited to read, like a game!
3) My teacher really encourages us to read. We have reading time during class and we are asked to read at home for 20 minutes almost every night.
4) My teacher and my class love the JETS! There is Jets stuff all over our room and my teacher has a Jets rug that we can't eat on in case it gets dirty.
5) I love that even though I'm a girl, my Dad watches Hockey with me. It would be great to have hockey and reading together in one day!
Congratulations to Maddie and the students of Room 18!