Earth Day Activities
Monday, April 20: Lights Off!
- Classrooms will turn off their lights for periods 3 and 4 (through lunch of they would like) and periods 5 and 6. This will allow both Kindergarten classes to participate.
Tuesday, April 21: Litterless Lunch!
- Students will be encouraged to bring a littlerless lunch to school (including snacks). Some ideas of what this could include will be included in note home to families
- Possibility: Snack Attack team to go around and check which classroom had the least amount of garbage after lunch
Wednesday, April 22: EARTH DAY!
- Students will be encouraged to ride/bike to school
- Students will be encouraged to drink only water at school using a refillable water bottle.
Thursday, April 23: Blue and Green Day!
- Students and staff will wear green and blue
Friday, April 24th: No School
Eco Facts for Announcements
Did you know that…
- The garbage in a landfill stays there for about 30 years
- Each person throws away about 4 pounds of garbage everyday
- 1/3 of all water used is flushed down the toilet
- Every ton of paper recycled saves 17 trees
- The energy we save when we recycle one glass bottle is enough to light a light bulb for 4 hours
- 5 billion aluminum cans are used each year. It takes 90% less energy to recycle an aluminum can than it does to make a new one
- It can take up to 500 years for some types of plastic to decompose in a landfill. This means that every piece of plastic made has not even begun to decompose!
- 2015 is the 25th anniversary of Earth Day!